Housing & Homelessness

Scott and Carver Counties, in partnership with local non-profit agencies, may have assistance for those who are currently experiencing homelessness or who are unable to afford their current housing. 

The Scott County HHS Housing unit offers a phone number for residents with housing questions to call 952-496-8600

Shelter Options

  • CAP Agency:  If you have children under the age of 18 and need emergency shelter, you may be eligible to participate in the CAP Agency's Scott County Family Shelter Program. CAP Agency also offers limited temporary shelter options for single adults based on funding availability and extreme weather. Call the CAP Agency 952-496-2125 (option 3) for assistance identifying shelter options and/or for access to their shelter interest list.
  • Day One Services and Southern Valley Alliance: May be able to help if you are currently fleeing domestic violence or preparing to leave an abusive situation. Assistance includes resources support and emergency shelter options.
  • Youth Services Network: Assists unaccompanied youth (who are aged 24 and younger) to access available shelter options across the metro area. Shelter openings will outline the gender/age of bed eligibility and the respective contact information for the location with openings.

Are You On The Verge of Losing Your Housing?

If you have past due housing expenses and are facing homelessness or if you’re struggling to come up with all the initial costs for transitioning into housing, you may qualify for assistance from one or more of these programs.

  • Scott/Carver Family Homeless Prevention and Assistance Program (FHPAP): Can assist households with limited financial assistance for past due rental or other housing expenses. This housing fund can also be used for households that can afford rent but need help with paying a security deposit or their first month's rent. FHPAP funds are limited. Households can learn more about the program, along with initiating a request for assistance by calling the Greater Twin Cities United Way-211 at 211 or (651) 291-0211.
  • Crisis Funds: Available through Scott County's Income Maintenance Department. Provides short-term help for families (including minor children or pregnant woman) related to emergency expenses, such as an eviction or utility disconnect. Crisis Funds can only be issued once in a 3-year period. To see if you meet the program requirements, please call (952) 496-8686.
  • Emergency General Assistance (EGA): Can provide short-term help for qualifying adults faced with an emergency expense, such as an eviction or utility disconnect. EGA can only be issued once in a 12-month period. If you want to see if you meet the program requirements, please call (952) 496-8686.
  • Scott County CDA Foreclosure Counseling: If you’re behind on your mortgage or struggling to keep up with your payments, Scott County CDA may be able to help. Visit the CDA website to find more information and to begin the screening process.

Housing Subsidies

Housing subsidies are accessed through several sources. 

  • Scott County CDA oversees Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8), Special Voucher Programs, Public Housing, and First Time Homeowner programs. Applications must be submitted directly to the Scott County CDA.  Wait lists for Section 8 and public housing are often closed due to high demand and low turnover. View the CDA's current wait list status.  
  • Project-based Subsidized Housing offers subsidized rent that is tied to the property. Some of the properties offer rental amounts that are calculated by your income, while others receive tax credits to offer a rental rate that is lower than the area's average rent. Review the list of the subsidized properties in Scott County. Please note that you'll need to contact each property separately to learn more about whether they're currently accepting applications and their rental criteria.
  • Coordinated Entry is a process developed to ensure that all people experiencing a housing crisis have fair and equal access and are quickly identified, assessed for, referred, and connected to housing and assistance based on their strengths and needs. Coordinated Entry is NOT a waiting list for housing resources or services. Clients will NOT know where they are placed within the Coordinated Entry system. Please contact a site below to begin your screening process:
AgencyPhone Website
Launch Ministry (Ages 18-25)(952) 236-7141https://www.launchministry.org/get-help/
CAP Agency(952) 496-2125 x3https://capagency.org/contact-us/
His House Foundation(612) 325-4693https://www.hhfabundance.com/

Additional Resources

  • Housing Stabilization Services: A new Medical Assistance benefit designed to help people with disabilities and seniors find and keep housing. Housing Stabilization Services is a home and community-based service. The purpose of these services is to:
    • Support an individual's transition into housing,
    • Increase long-term stability in housing in the community, and
    • Avoid future periods of homelessness or institutionalization.
  • South Metro Connect to Care: An assistance directory for those seeking mental or chemical health resources and other crisis services.
  • CAP Agency Energy Assistance Program: Helps eligible households with energy bill payment assistance, home energy crisis intervention, outreach, energy advocacy, information about utility consumer rights, and referrals. Visit their website for more information, including the application.