Need to take an online or written exam for school? Growing your professional skillset with a new certification? All Scott County Libraries can administer certain types of exams for students enrolled in an educational institution at no cost, with some exceptions.
Before you submit an Exam Form, be sure to open and read the tabs below to see what we can (and cannot) administer, along with testing environment guidelines.
If we're unable to support your exam, a helpful list of alternative options is also available below.
Before scheduling, make sure we meet your institution's requirements. Review our guidelines below for details about technology needs, supervision, etc. If what we offer isn't adequate, check the list of alternative testing services below to find recommendations.
We reserve the right to limit this service.
How to schedule an exam
- Make sure to read the tabs below to ensure we meet the requirements for your exam. Please note that we cannot support certain tests due to Minnesota state regulations.
- Use our Request form (embedded in final tab) to make an initial request to your library. Exams must be scheduled at least two business days in advance. We recommend scheduling well in advance to ensure the date or time you want is available, especially if you need to reserve a private room.
- Once we review your form, library staff at the location you select will reach out to schedule your exam time.
Tests we cannot proctor
Due to Minnesota state regulations, we can't administer professional license exams for the industries listed below. Use these links to find approved testing centers from the MN Department of Commerce.
Not sure about your exam or industry's requirements? Here are some helpful resources:
It is the student’s responsibility to verify that the guidelines are acceptable to their institution:
- Library staff will not provide constant monitoring/supervision during the testing period.
- The student must contact library staff to schedule the exam at least two library-open days in advance. View SCL Locations & Hours. This service may not be available during all open hours.
- Library staff on duty at the time of the test will monitor it, regardless of who scheduled the exam.
- Tests can be mailed or emailed to the library. Students must verify in advance that the test or password has arrived.
- The student is required to present a picture ID before testing begins.
- Staff will not hold personal items for the student during the exam (e.g. cell phones, text books, backpacks, etc.)
- The student is responsible for all fees/charges related to the testing, including printing and mailing fees. Library staff will send completed written examinations to the testing institution via U.S. Postal Service in postage-paid envelopes provided by the student or the institution. Library staff will not send completed exams via FedEx, UPS, or other commercial carriers.
- The library cannot install special software to take online exams.
- If the student is unable to take the exam at the scheduled time, please call in advance to cancel or reschedule.
- Staff will not rate, grade, or otherwise assess the quality or value of the student’s work prior to or after the exam.
- The library reserves the right to limit this service, if necessary.
- In an effort to continue offering and improving proctoring services, the library may send you a brief survey about your proctoring experience. Your recommendations are important to us.
- Testing accommodations may vary by library. If you plan to use a public computer, know that we cannot guarantee a silent environment.
- Make sure you have the right technology. The Library cannot install special software on its public computers, so plan to bring your own laptop with the appropriate software if needed.
Dakota County Library - Test Administration Service: Arrangements must be made in person or by phone at least 48 hours before taking the test. This service is offered only at the Robert Trail Library and the Wentworth Library. Test administration only, no proctoring offered.
Washington County Library - Exam Services: For more information on exam services, please contact the Washington County Library location convenient to you. Test administration only, no proctoring offered.
Minnesota State Colleges & Universities: MnSCU offers their students free proctoring at any of their schools. The list of schools is available on the MnSCU website: MnSCU Online Test Proctoring Locations & Schools
Kaplan - Virtual Classroom Proctoring: Kaplan offers their students free proctoring. Contact Kaplan directly for more information.
Adult Options in Education Test Center
Eisenhower Community Center
1001 Highway 7 West
Hopkins, MN 55305
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 8am - 3pm
- Phone: 952-988-5343
- Email: [email protected]
- There is a $25 fee for proctoring most tests.
North Hennepin Community College
7411 85th Avenue North
Educational Services (ES), Room 108
Brooklyn Park, MN 55445
- Phone: 763-424-0928
- Email: [email protected]
- Proctors paper and web-based exams for colleges that are located in the United States.
- Cost is $40 per exam. No charge for MnSCU students.
- Appointments must be scheduled 2 business days in advance.