Youth Snowmobile Safety Training
Minnesota requires snowmobile certification by law for anyone born after December 31, 1976.
Every year, the Scott County Sheriff’s Office hosts a one day “field training” to fulfill the second part of the DNR’s online course. This field training is for the Youth Snowmobile Safety Certification and is for snowmobile operators ages 11 through 15.
The field day training takes place in December at the Regional Training Facility (RTF), 17706 Valley View Drive, Jordan, MN 55352.
TO COMPLETE YOUTH SNOWMOBILE TRAINING, THERE IS A TWO-PART PROCESS:
STEP 1: Children must first complete online training through the DNR website.
The online Youth Snowmobile Safety Training class is an introductory class designed primarily for the snowmobile rider with little or no experience in snowmobile operation. Students obtain and study the safety information on the interactive online course at their own pace in the comfort of their own home under the guidance of a parent or guardian. Depending on the youth’s age and experience, the online course should take approximately 2-4 hours to complete.
The online training can be found by visiting the DNR's website. Children will NOT BE ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE in the field training unless they have first completed the Youth Snowmobile Safety Online Course.
STEP 2: Children must attend a one day classroom review and riding performance course. (NO CHARGE)
Once the student completes the online course, they will need to print the “Youth Follow-up Voucher” from the DNR’s website and register for a one-day snowmobile safety field training - either through a private trainer in their area or through the Scott County Sheriff’s Office. If you choose to attend a class through the Sheriff’s Office, the training dates will be posted here in December.
TO REGISTER: Please complete and submit the ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM to register for the field day training. Please complete a separate form for each child being registered.
PLEASE REMEMBER TO BRING THE FOLLOWING TO TRAINING:
- Weather appropriate clothing
- Proof of completion of the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Youth Snowmobile Online Training (printed certificate)
- DNR liability waiver or a parent or guardian must be available to sign at training (can be mailed prior to training if indicated on the ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM available in December)
- Space is limited to 25 students per session - sign up early.
- There is no fee for the Sheriff's Office field day training.
- Snowmobiles will be provided and we ask that attendees do not bring their own snowmobiles.
- Class will occur rain or shine.
- To have your snowmobile safety certification added to your Minnesota Driver’s License, bring your snowmobile certificate to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) when you renew your Driver’s License and request them to check the box to add it as an endorsement.