The Scott County Sheriff’s Office provides internships for college and university students who are enrolled or planning to enroll in a structured internship program at their educational institution. The purpose of the internship program is to allow students an opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in the fields of law enforcement, public safety and local government.
The student will be required to sign a waiver and release with the Scott County Sheriff’s Office.
Please note: No financial assistance is available.
To be considered for an internship with the Scott County Sheriff’s Office, applicants must minimally meet the following criteria:
- You must be a junior or above at a college or university fulfilling an internship requirement in a field applicable to Criminal Justice
- You must have your own means of transportation
- You must submit to and pass a thorough background investigation
The intern will:
- Meet with a patrol Sergeant to be assigned to a schedule
- Have a 40 hour work week
- Have varying hours from day shift to night shift
- Have the opportunity to observe several functions of the Sheriff’s Office including, but not limited to: Patrol, Investigations, Recreational Safety, Civil Process, Communications, and Court Security
Internships typically run June-August and are unpaid. However, some flexibility may be possible to accommodate class or work schedules.
To apply for an internship with the Scott County Sheriff’s Office, all students must minimally provide the following:
- Complete an Internship Application Form
- Letter of interest which includes future career goals, internship expectations the number of desired hours (upload document via application form)
- A letter from the college official overseeing your internship verifying that this is an authorized college/university program (upload document via application form)
Students submitting incomplete application materials will not be considered for the internship program.
Please contact Sgt. John Kvasnicka at 952-496-8130 or [email protected] with any questions regarding this program.