The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), enacted on July 26, 1990, is a civil rights law prohibiting discrimination against individuals on the basis of disability. As a provider of public transportation services and programs, Scott County must comply with this Act, and has developed a Transition Plan detailing how the County will ensure that all facilities are accessible to all individuals. Scott County must meet these general requirements for individuals with disabilities:
- Access to all public programs and places;
- Modification of policies that deny equal access;
- Effective communication procedures;
- An ADA Coordinator that coordinates ADA compliance;
- Public notice of ADA requirements; and
- Grievance procedure for resolution of complaints.
Scott County’s goal is to provide ADA-accessible pedestrian design features as part of the County’s transportation improvement projects (TIP). These standards and procedures will be kept up to date with nationwide and local best management practices