CH 21/TH 13 Reconstruction
- Construction Year(s): 2019-2020
- Community: City of Prior Lake
- Corridor Served: CH 21
- Project Lead: Scott County
- Contractor: S.M. Hentges & Sons, Inc.
- Construction Completion: July 2020
Scott County, in coordination with the City of Prior Lake and the Minnesota Department of Transportation, completed intersection improvements on County Highway (CH) 21 and State Highway (TH) 13 in downtown Prior Lake. This intersection was identified as needing improvement due primarily to mobility concerns, but also in regard to traffic safety concerns associated with the existing and forecasted traffic.
The project evaluated potential improvements to intersections in close proximity to the CH 21/TH 13 intersection, in particular CH 21 and Main Avenue. It also took into consideration traffic impacts on surrounding streets, including impacts on pedestrian safety and accessibility.
The focus of this effort was on downtown Prior Lake, with a corridor visioning exercise completed for the longer segment of CH 21 from CH 82/154th Street to Franklin Trail. The Corridor Visioning Study helped identify how the intersection reconstruction project can holistically fit into the future vision of the corridor and its surroundings.
- Enhance vehicle mobility on major transportation corridors
- Safely accommodate all users along the major transportation corridors
- Provide a comprehensive network for non-motorized transportation that is compatible with the major transportation corridors
- Provide infrastructure improvements compatible with the natural and human environment
- Develop a financially responsible infrastructure implementation plan
- Preserve and enrich the character of downtown Prior Lake