- Roads & Transportation
- Construction Projects
- CH 27 Reconstruction
CH 27 Reconstruction from CH 21 to CH 44
- Construction Year: 2021 & 2022
- Community: Savage, Credit River
- Corridor Served: CH 27
- Project Lead: Scott County
- Contractor: SM Hentges & Sons, Inc.
- Construction Start Date: August 2, 2021
- May 5, 2023: Trail work will begin on May 8th, expect single lane southbound traffic on County Highway 27 for 2 weeks, weather permitting.
- April 30, 2023: Grading equipment will be moved in on May 1st and work will begin, causing a single lane southbound traffic configuration. Expected completion date is June 1st, weather permitting.
- April 20, 2023: Awaiting schedule. More information will be provided as it comes available.
- October 21, 2022: CH 27 is now open with one lane in each direction. One lane in each direction will be closed for one month while utility relocations are being completed along the corridor. In 2023, the trail on the west side will be constructed, the road surface will be seal coated, and final striping will be installed.
- August 31, 2022: We are entering the final phase of construction with the closure at CH 44. Residents that live between Creekwood and CH 44 will still have access from CH 44. Residents that access Creekwood and south will access from 170th.
- July 5, 2022: Construction will be closing 169th St E at CH 27 on July 6th starting at 6am. Residents should use 167th St E to access CH 27 and go north to CH 44 and use the detour.CH 27 south of CH 21 is planned to be re-opened to traffic on July 13th.
- April 19, 2022: The signals at CH 21/27 and CH 44/27 intersections will be put into flashing red (4 way stop condition) at 2:00am on Thursday, April 21, 2022 until end of day on Friday. On Thursday, April 21, CH 21 traffic will be pushed to the inside lanes, as the mast arms are being removed and CH 27 will be closed to through traffic. On Monday, April 25, CH 21 traffic will be pushed to the outside lanes to construct the crossovers. CH 27 will be closed to through traffic from north of CH 21 to CH 44 and south of CH 21 for approximately 1800' and CH 21 will remain one lane each way; these closures will be in place until July 1st. (Click here for a Map)
- March 2022: When construction begins, CH 21 will be reduced to one lane in each direction to allow for construction of crossovers on CH 21. Once that is complete CH 27 will be closed to traffic north and south of CH 21. This will put CH 21 into head to head traffic through the construction zone to allow us to reconstruct the intersection. We will also be working on CH 27 from intersection with CH 21 to the south approximately 1800’. We will also be working on CH 27 from to Creekwood Road to 170th Street. Traffic from Creekwood Road and 165th Street with have access to the north to CH 44. There will be no access to the south for any residents living north of 165th Street. Traffic from 167th Street, 169th Street, and the Casey addition will have access to 170th Street and will be routed to CH 21 via 170th Street. We plan on this configuration lasting until late June 2022.
County Road 27 (Texas Avenue) will reopen by 6 pm Friday, October 8 which is 2 full days ahead of schedule.
October 6, 2021: Due to unforeseen utility issues we will have to shut down 165th Street at CH 27 (Texas avenue) at 7am Friday morning (10/8) and reopen on Saturday by 5pm (10/9). This closure is needed to locate a buried fiber cable and install a storm sewer run under 165th Street. Residents that live on 165th will be able to go east to Murphy Lake Blvd then south to CH 21 to get on the CH 27 detour. SEE MAP
September 20, 2021: CH 27 from Creekwood Road to CH 44 is closed to through traffic for 21 days. DETOUR MAP
September 17, 2021: On Monday 9/20 CH 27 will closed at Creekwood Road for box culvert replacement. We will also be closing the Cleary Park Trail at 6 am 9/23 for 21 days for tree removal, pipe installation and trail grading. At the end of the 21 days the trail will be paved and fully operational. Trail Closure Map
September 8, 2021: Texas Avenue (CR 27) is scheduled for closure the week of September 20, 2021 at Creekwood Road for the replacement installation of a stormwater box culvert just north of Creekwood Road. The closure will last 21 days and CR 27 will be closed to through traffic.
Signage will be placed this week along the road to advise of the pending closure. The detoured routes will be CR 44, Highway 13, and CR 21. Local access will still be available north and south of the work site. Work at this time is being completed in advance of the CR 27 4-lane roadway expansion project in 2022.
September 3, 2021: Utility relocation is on-going along the corridor. The closure is scheduled to being the of week 9/20 for a duration of 21 days. The posted detour route will be CH 21 to TH 13 to CH 44. During that closure we will be performing muck excavation on the north end of the project and installing the box culvert under CH 27.
August 12, 2021: Clearing and grubbing work has begun. Traffic should expect single lane traffic with flagmen through the end of the week.
Monday, August 2, 2021, flagging operations will begin for tree removal and utility relocations on County Highway 27. Road will be restricted to one lane. Traffic should expect delays. Road Closure Notice [PDF]
Periodic lane closures are expected until a 21 day road closure of CH 27 for the box culvert will follow in September 2021. Please stay tuned to the posted notices and Scott County website for updates.
Expand existing two-lane rural section to a four-lane urban roadway consistent with the County Highway 27 Corridor Study between CH 21 and CH 44 in Credit River Township.
CH 27 is an important Minor-Arterial roadway serving eastern Scott County. As part of the CH 27 Corridor Study, concepts were evaluated for the expansion of CH 27 to four-lanes with trail/sidewalk between CH 21 and CH 44 in Credit River Township.
Purpose and Justification
This project will improve safety and add capacity by providing turn lanes, center median, paved shoulders, and access management. This corridor also provides connectivity to two regional parks and currently has no trail/shoulder for bike or pedestrian movements.
CH 27 Corridor Study
The Final Report (PDF) is available for review and includes the findings and recommendations from the year-long corridor study. The report has been adopted by the city councils, township boards and County Board.
Preliminary Design & Environmental Review
Preliminary design and environmental review activities are commencing in the fall of 2017 for a project to reconstruct CH 27 from CH 21 to CH 44, which builds from the recommended concept layout in the CH 27 Corridor Study. Scott County has engaged the professional services of Kimley Horn and Associates, an engineering consultant, for these activities. Preliminary design will further refine the design elements of the recommended concept layout in the CH 27 Corridor Study. Environmental review activities will gather field and environmental data to prepare an Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW) to evaluate the environmental impacts on this project.
A public open house meeting is scheduled for April 4, 2019 (see open house newsletter #3 by the link provided below). Previously, public open houses have been in November, 2017 and October, 2018. These open houses provide the public with updated information and an opportunity to provide comments on the project.
The project schedule is tentatively as follows:
- Preliminary Design / Environmental Review (2017 / 2018)
- Final Design / Environmental Documentation (2018 / 2019
- Right of way acquisition (2019 / 2020)
- Construction (2021 / 2022)
- Final Project Layout: Project Layout 1/26/2021 (PDF)