Foster Care Licensing

Diverse family iStock image

Child Foster Care Application

eBooks and More

You can make a difference. Foster care is about helping children and adults in need. As a foster care provider, you will help children and adults learn there are caring, stable, and reliable adults there for them. In time, children or adults in your care will learn that times may be tough but you care and are willing to help.

About the Unit

Scott County Foster Care Licensing functions as agents of the State of Minnesota Department of Human Services. It is the mission of Foster Care Licensing to ensure the safety, well-being, and overall healthy development of children receiving child care services by the knowledgeable application of all licensing rules and laws, as well as social work practice. Foster Care Licensing focuses on the development of new resources, training, support, and retention of existing foster families for adults and children who need out of home placement.

The Scott County Licensing Unit is dedicated to being a support and resource to the licensed foster care providers of Scott County. We want to partner with you as a care provider to meet the needs of the child or adult placed in your home.

Our staff is experienced. Each of the Licensing Workers has a Bachelor’s Degree and routinely attends training courses to keep current on changes and trends in the field. We follow and implement the licensing rules put in to place by the Legislature and the Minnesota Department of Human Services to ensure safety for the individuals needing care.

We offer a variety of training experiences throughout the year so care providers can get new information and develop their care giving skills. We are available as a support when there are challenges for you as a care giver and will work to connect you with resources to assist you to address the challenges.

Key Terms

Case Aide: A Case Aide provides support services to the Licensing Workers in the Licensing Unit. This may include communications by email, newsletter or phone with foster care providers about training opportunities, rule changes and other useful information. You can contact the Case Aide with questions about communications sent out or other general questions.

Case Worker/Manager: A Case Manager is assigned to each child/adult needing out of home placement. For children, the Case Manager works with the child’s family on ways to make it safe so the child can return home. For adults, the Case Manager works with the adult and their family or legal representative to find appropriate services and supports to enable them to live as independently as possible in the community. For both children and adults, the Case Manager is going to have contact with the foster care provider about the needs of the child/adult in their home and to get feedback from the foster care provider about how the placement is going.

Licenser: A Licensing Worker is assigned to each applicant for a foster care license to assist them in completing the steps of the licensing process, to provide resources and offer support in providing the care. The Licensing Worker stays assigned to the applicant once they are licensed and continues to be available for support and consultation. The Licensing Worker will conduct annual visits with the license holder for renewal of the license. You can contact your Licensing Worker anytime you have questions about your foster care license, for support or ideas to address challenges with a placement in your home or when you are looking for training and resources.

Social Worker I: A Social worker I often works with the Child Protection Unit and is involved in transporting and supervising children in placement for visits with their biological parents.