Planning & Zoning
Please note that Planning & Zoning is only available by appointment only. Please call 952-496-8653 to make an appointment with Planning & Zoning Staff.
The Scott County Planning Department is here to serve you. The department is legally responsible for planning and zoning in all ten townships within the County. The Department works collaboratively with the townships officials (local road authorities) in making decisions and guiding development. Each of the eight cities in the County is legally responsible for their own planning and zoning. However, given the complexity of extraterritorial issues and rapid growth, the County and Cities cooperate on many growth management issues.
Planning Department’s responsibilities in the townships include:
- Comprehensive Planning and Special Studies
- Reviewing building permits for zoning compliance
- Facilitating applications for variance requests to the Board of Adjustment, and rezoning, platting, conditional use permit, and interim use permit requests to the Planning Commission and County Board
- Disseminating information such as land subdivisions, permitted uses, building setbacks (from roads, lakes, property lines), home-based business operation rules, number of animals allowed on a property; etc.
Commonly Requested Information
- Land Development and Land Use Process - Learn about the development and land use process.
- Zoning Fact Sheets & Applications/Checklists - Summaries on County Zoning Districts, Accessory Building Requirements, Animal Units Permitted, Fences and Allowed Uses
- Scott County Ordinances - View Zoning Ordinance No. 3 and Zoning Map, Land Subdivision Ordinance No. 7, and other County ordinances
- Comprehensive Plan - Access to adopted 2040 Comprehensive Plan Update Information
- Scott County GIS - Online mapping services and property information (You can use the ScottGIS3.0 Mapping Application web application to view the zoning for a specific property