Planning & Zoning
COVID-19 Updated 3/18 3:00 PM
Please be advised: Until further notice, this department will be conducting business activities electronically, via email or phone (Please see the Directory on the right for contact information).
Land Use Permits - New and existing permit related applications and submittal documents can be submitted via email. Payments will have to be sent through the US mail.
· We recommend frequently checking this page for updates.
Ordinance UpdatesOver the past year, Scott County staff has been meeting with the County planning advisory commission, township officials and key stakeholders to discuss revisions to the zoning and subdivision ordinances. The revisions to these land use and land development regulations are needed to implement the 2040 Comprehensive Plan.
To review the proposed changes, click on the links below.
Zoning Ordinance (March 2020 Draft)
Zoning Map (March 2020 Draft)
Subdivision Ordinance (March 2020 Draft)
Below is a summary of key revisions:
- New zoning districts: rural business ((RBR), heavy industrial (H-I) and hamlet mixed use overlay (HMU)
- Allows larger sheds and accessory buildings on rural lots
- Requires deeper home setbacks from bluffs (from 30 to 50 ft.)
- New mining reclamation standards
- Clarifies access requirements and turn lanes for development
The Scott County Planning Department is here to serve you. The department is legally responsible for planning and zoning in all eleven townships within the County. The Department works collaboratively with the townships officials (local road authorities) in making decisions and guiding development. Each of the seven cities in the County is legally responsible for their own planning and zoning. However, given the complexity of extraterritorial issues and rapid growth, the County and Cities cooperate on many growth management issues.
Planning Department’s responsibilities in the townships include:
- Comprehensive Planning and Special Studies
- Reviewing building permits for zoning compliance
- Facilitating applications for variance requests to the Board of Adjustment, and rezoning, platting, conditional use permit, and interim use permit requests to the Planning Commission and County Board
- Disseminating information such as land subdivisions, permitted uses, building setbacks (from roads, lakes, property lines), home-based business operation rules, number of animals allowed on a property; etc.
Commonly Requested Information
- Land Development and Land Use Process - Learn about the development and land use process.
- Zoning Fact Sheets & Applications/Checklists - Summaries on County Zoning Districts, Accessory Building Requirements, Animal Units Permitted, Fences and Allowed Uses
- Scott County Ordinances - View Zoning Ordinance No. 3 and Zoning Map, Land Subdivision Ordinance No. 7, and other County ordinances
- Comprehensive Plan- Access to Adopted 2030 Comp Plan and the 2040 Comp Plan Update Information
- Scott County GIS- online mapping services and property information (You can use the ScottGIS3.0 Mapping Application web application to view the zoning for a specific property