Ordination Credential and Civil Marriage Officiant Filing

Individuals and Ministers of any religious denomination intending to perform (solemnize) a civil marriage in Minnesota must register a Certificate of Filing with Scott County before the ceremony.  After you receive your Notice of Filing Marriage Officiant Credentials you may perform marriages anywhere in the state of Minnesota.

You do not need to be a Minnesota resident to file, however anyone registering under M.S. 517.04 (Link) must be at least 21 years old.   

Certificate of Filing

Application Process

Submit your completed Certificate of Filing and if needed, credentials of license or ordination, along with $20.00 for the filing fee.

  • In person at the Scott County Government Center
  • Using the Scott County Drop Box located in the circular driveway off Atwood St between 4th and 5th Avenues
  • E-mail:  [email protected]
  • Mail:   Scott County Government Center
                Attn: Customer Service
                200 Fourth Avenue West
                Shakopee, MN 55379

Indicate if you will be paying by credit card and we will contact you via phone for the information (please be aware there is a 2.49% convenience fee on credit/debit transactions)

Additional information

Each county in Minnesota may have a different style of marriage certificate but all will have a space for you to complete the county in which your credentials are recorded; you should always indicate “Scott.”