For 20 years, the Scott County Sheriff’s Office has been proudly hosting its Annual Youth Fishing Derby with the support and generosity of our sponsors and volunteers. To protect the health and safety of our community and abide by preventative recommendations set forth by the CDC, this year’s event will be held virtually from Friday, July 31st through Sunday, August 2nd.
Every summer, local kids join dozens of Scott County deputies, fire fighters, and emergency medical personnel in fishing boats for a day of fun and fishing! In honor of our annual in-person Youth Fishing Derby, we are hosting a virtual competition this year and we encourage kids (and their parents) to get outside and participate in this fun event. Kids and their families will be able to fish at the time and location within Scott County of their choice between July 31st and August 2nd. Interested participants can register online for the Derby and submit a photo of themselves with their fish for a chance to win a prize through a random drawing.
“The Youth Fishing Derby is a community event that teaches kids to fish, connect them with the outdoors, and develop trusting relationships with deputies and other emergency responders within our community,” said Sheriff Luke Hennen. “The event will look a little different this year, but our mission remains the same - continuing to have positive law enforcement-community interactions by connecting on personal level.”
Don’t have any fishing gear? Don’t worry – we have a limited number of fishing rods/reels and life jackets for those in need – just indicate what gear you need on the registration form and we will arrange to have a deputy drop it off in person. This equipment will only be available to those who have not participated in past Sheriff’s Office Fishing Derbies.
- Fish may be caught at any favorite fishing Scott County fishing location between July 31, 2020 and August 2, 2020
- Only ONE entry per child
- Participants must post a photo of the child holding their catch to the Facebook event page
- Children ages 8-15 years residing in Scott County may participate
- A parent or guardian MUST accompany children but are not allowed to submit their own catches during the derby
- Must follow State and Federal fishing and environmental laws while fishing
- Must exercise caution while on or near the water
- Must observe social distancing when fishing
- Post your picture on the Scott County Sheriff’s Office Facebook Event Page between the dates of Friday, July 31st through Sunday, August 2nd to ensure entry into the drawing for prizes. Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/3096101340474853/
- Each participant will be put into a drawing for a chance to win one of the following prizes:
- 1 of 2 tackle boxes filled with fishing gear worth over $125 each
- 1 of 8 gift cards to Cabin Fever Sporting Goods (our generous event sponsor) in Victoria worth $25 each
- 1 of 2 Thermacell Mosquito MR300 Repellers worth $30
- 1 of 10 fishing rods/reels worth $60 each
We will announce the winners on the Scott County Sheriff’s Office Facebook Event Page on Monday, August 3, 2020. Prizes may be picked up from the Scott County Sheriff’s Office, 301 Fuller Street South, Shakopee, MN 55379 by appointment only. Please call 952-496-8300 to arrange or schedule an appointment online at https://www.scottcountymn.gov/1954/Appointments.
We would like to thank Cabin Fever Sporting Goods for their continued and generous partnership with this event! They’re awesome!
If you have any questions regarding this event, please contact Deputy Dennis Tietz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 952-292-8297. You can find more information about this event online at: https://www.scottcountymn.gov/1564/Annual-Youth-Fishing-Derby.
Prizes will be awarded to participants by random drawing
Prizes include two tackle boxes full of fishing gear!