MN State Building Codes regulates the design, construction, alteration, repairs and demolition of structures. Review all applicable information and handouts prior to applying for permits. See Basement Finish handout click here
Review instructions for ePermit registration, pdf file naming requirements, and applying through the ePermit portal prior to applying for permit. See ePermits, How do I.... click here
IMPORTANT: Electronic submittal document files are required to be named appropriately to ensure efficient permit processing. Review Naming Submittal Documents prior to starting ePermit process to ensure all files are labeled appropriately. See all related ePermit submittal and resubmittal requirements to help avoid delays in processing.
Required Submittals - Documents required to be uploaded into ePermit portal at the time of application. Applications with incomplete submittals will be rejected and delayed. Project address shall be displayed on all submittal documents, forms and drawings. Applications with incomplete submittals will be delayed.
All documents must be flattened, scanned or printed and unlocked in pdf format. Open fillable forms or documents with open control points cannot be accepted.
- Township Approval Form (PDF) - Required for Jackson Township only. Submit completed form with township approval signature if applicable. Do not upload if not required.
- Building Plans- Per MN Rules 1300, plans shall be dimensioned and drawn upon suitable material. Complete set of plans including structural, floor layout, cross sections, elevations, and energy. Plans shall be uploaded as one multipage complete set (not individual sheets), individual sheet uploads will not be accepted. The following details shall be included on all Basement Finish plans :
- All room dimensions shall be shown on plans. Include all walls, doors, windows, ceiling height
- All rooms shall be labeled for the use. Areas that will remain unfinished shall be labeled accordingly
- Structural details, if structural changes proposed
- Show locations of plumbing fixtures on plans and identify if current rough in (drain, waste, vent) already exists
- Show any additional mechanical equipment locations, such as: fireplace, mini-split, A/C, or other
- If increasing the size of or adding openings to exterior or bearing walls, provide all loading and beam details in those areas including additional point load footings
Optional Submittals, if applicable
- Specifications - Provide product installation specifications if any materials or fasteners require specific manufacturers’ specifications for installation.
Note: Separate permits are required for plumbing, mechanical and sewer installations through Scott County ePermit portal.
The property owner occupying the dwelling may obtain the plumbing, sewer and mechanical permit if they are completing the installations. If the work is not being completed by the occupying property owner, plumbing and mechanical permits shall be applied for by the MN Licensed Plumbing contractor and MN Bonded Mechanical Contractor. Sewer by a MN Licensed Plumbing contractor or MN Certified Pipe Layer.
Electrical permit shall be obtained by installing contractor or installing property owner, through MN Department of Labor and Industry Electrical Division