MN State Building Codes regulates the design, construction, alteration, repairs and demolition of decks. Review all applicable information and handouts prior to applying for permits. See Deck handout click here
Note: Deck permit type: Deck, deck with roof, and deck with roof and screens. Residential Addition:3 and 4 season porches with full walls, windows, insulation, heating or cooling.
Review instructions for ePermit registration, pdf file naming requirements, and applying through the ePermit portal prior to applying for permit. See ePermits, How do I.... click here
IMPORTANT: Electronic submittal document files are required to be named appropriately to ensure efficient permit processing. Review Naming Submittal Documents prior to starting ePermit process to ensure all files are labeled appropriately. See all related ePermit submittal and resubmittal requirements to help avoid delays in processing.
Required Submittals - Documents required to be uploaded into ePermit portal at the time of application. Applications with incomplete submittals will be rejected and delayed. Project address shall be displayed on all submittal documents, forms and drawings. Applications with incomplete submittals will be delayed.
All documents must be flattened, scanned or printed and unlocked in pdf format. Open fillable forms or documents with open control points cannot be accepted.
- Township Approval Form (PDF) - Required for Blakeley and Jackson townships only. Submit completed form with township approval signature. Do not upload if not required.
- Site Plan – must include the following:
- The exact location and size of proposed deck
- Location of other structures, property lines, septic tanks, septic drain field, well and any wetlands
- Location of any gas, plumbing, or electrical piping in the vicinity of construction
- Distances from the proposed building to all other structures, property lines, and utilities
- Building Plans- Deck plans shall include layout view and cross-section. Plans shall be uploaded as one multipage complete set, individual sheet uploads will not be accepted. See Deck handout for specific required details to be included on the plans. The following details shall be identified on all deck plans:
- All material details
- Footing type, size, and location Important Note: soil loading of max 1500 psf will be assumed without geotechnical support
- Material type, sizes, spans, spacing, length of all joists, beams, ledgers, posts, decking, guardrails, stair stringers and treads
- All dimensions shall be identified on plans: length, width, height of deck, height of guardrail, identify any/all joist or beam cantilever
- Specifications - Provide product installation specifications if any materials or fasteners require specific manufacturers’ specifications for installation.