MN State Building Codes regulates the design, construction, alteration, repairs and demolition of decks. Review all applicable information and handouts prior to applying for permits.
Review instructions for ePermit registration, pdf file naming requirements, and applying through the ePermit portal prior to applying for permit. See ePermits, How do I.... click here
IMPORTANT: Electronic submittal document files are required to be named appropriately to ensure efficient permit processing. Review Naming Submittal Documents prior to starting ePermit process to ensure all files are labeled appropriately. See all related ePermit submittal and resubmittal requirements to help avoid delays in processing.
Required Submittals - Documents required to be uploaded into ePermit portal at the time of application. Applications with incomplete submittals will be rejected and delayed. Project address shall be displayed on all submittal documents, forms and drawings. Applications with incomplete submittals will be delayed.
All documents must be flattened, scanned or printed and unlocked in pdf format. Open fillable forms or documents with open control points cannot be accepted.
- Township Approval Form (PDF) – Use form to determine if township approval is required for project location. Submit completed form with township approval signature if applicable. Do not upload if not required.
- Survey/Detailed site plan – details shall include survey or other accurately scaled drawing showing:
- Proposed location of the Solar Panels & Transformers
- Ground Mounted Panels – Distance and Location of panels on the property in relation to other structures, septic tanks/system, well and property lines.
- Roof Mounted Panels – What structure they are mounted on, as well as access and pathways according to Section R324.6 2020 MRC
- Building Plans– Plans shall be uploaded as one multipage complete set (not individual sheets). Plan sheets shall only be separated if larger than 50 MB. Individual sheet uploads will not be accepted.
- Ground Mount Panel - Plans shall include all mounting/racking and footing details.
- Roof Mount Panel - Plans shall include existing roof structure analysis by a qualified structural engineer or all framing details including spacing and design loads of engineered roof trusses if applicable, or species and grade of rafters, rafter sizes and framing methods used, spacing and spans of rafters.
- Specifications – Provide panel and mounting/racking manufacturers specifications
Specific MN requirements for roof or ground mounted residential solar panels: https://www.dli.mn.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/fs_res_solar.pdf
Additional Resources: https://www.dli.mn.gov/business/electrical-contractors/solar-photovoltaic-pv-resources