Sewer/Water Main

NOTE: This is not a septic system or well permit. For septic systems, go to Septic Permit type. Wells shall be installed in accordance with MN Department of Health requirements.

  • Building Sewer is the horizontal drainage piping that extends from the building to the public or private sewage or septic system. A building sewer permit shall be obtained prior to the installation or repair of any building sewer to any structure on a community, municipal, or existing septic system. 
  • The Building Water Main Supply System is the supply piping carrying potable water in or adjacent to the building or premises. A building water main permit shall be obtained prior to the installation or repair of any exterior building water supply system.
  • Important Note: New Residential Dwellings (homes) shall apply for any applicable septic, sewer, or water permits inclusive with the main building permit and list the sub-contractors on the Contacts and Contractors form.
  • Building Sewer or Water Main permits will be issued to MN licensed plumbing contractors, certified pipe layers with plumbing bond registration and homeowners completing their own sewer/water main work only. The applicant must be completing the work. 


Show All Answers

1. Sewer/Water Main
2. Residential Building Sewer - New Connect to Community/Municipal System or Existing Septic System
3. Residential Building Sewer Repair
4. Residential Building Water Main (Not New Well Installation)
5. Plumbing, Commercial - Building Sewer Main
6. Plumbing, Commercial - Building Water Main